Friday, April 8, 2011

Diva from over the pond


Daniela Brooker is an up and coming artist who hails from Britain. Her mix of latin pop and post brit pop has garnered her critical acclaim.She is still in her teens but her talent is far beyond her age as She manages a academic career and tours in London . Daniela’s most recent single titled Heart Locked, is available on itunes (support artists!). I was given the privilege to interview Daniela Brooker. Check out the interview below as well. Its really interesting (if I don’t say so myself). Enjoy the music, read the interview, and visit Daniela’s website, youtube,and myspace.


Interview



B: In America it isn't too uncommon for a teenager to be successful musician.
How do you deal with both a music career and an academic career?

D: I am quite an organized person so I manage my time well. If I have a big
piece of coursework or an exam, I will make sure I have a few days without
working on my music so I can study.

B: Your voice has a incredible quality in the way it carries melody.How long
have you been developing your voice?

D: Cliché as it sounds, I have been singing for as long as I can remember. I
have had singing lessons since I was 13 every week. The more I practice a
song the better it gets.

B: I have heard you have been compared to Shakira but how has your mixed
heritage impacted how you listen and develop music?

D: I am a big fan of reggaeton music and my mum has always played salsa and
meringue, so I guess you could say I have been exposed to music that has
influenced me to add Latin rhythms to some of my songs.

B: What is your take on youtube and how it affects indie artists?

D: I think you tube is amazing; of course it has its downfalls but most
importantly it has allowed artists to get exposure which I find is one of
the hardest aspects of getting anywhere in the music industry.

B: Where have you toured in the United Kingdom or abroad?

D: So far I have been playing at cool venues all over London but nothing
overseas yet. I would love to get a support slot on a tour for a major
artist! So fingers crossed!!

B: What are your musical influences?

D: I am influenced by so many artists, it depends on what aspect. I love big
singers such as Christina Aguilera but then musically I love bands such as
Gwen Stefani of ‘No Doubt’. Beyonce is the ultimate artist for me in terms of
performance. I've seen her twice live, once with Destiny Child and once solo
and she just blows me away.

B: What do you want your fans to understand from your music?

D: I want to make a record that has uplifting songs that make people feel good
and want to dance to. I also want people to feel a connection to the stories
in some of my slower tracks for example ‘he’s not you’. I write about
subjects that other 17 year old girls will hopefully relate to. At my age I
don’t feel the need or right to preach about heavier subjects.

B: Who is your dream artist to collaborate with?

D: There are too many! I would LOVE to sing a duet with Steve Tyler though- he
is the coolest guy on the planet! haha

B: What's the message behind turn it up?

D: The message about turn it up is to not take life too seriously and if you’re
feeling down turn the song up and hopefully it will bring a smile to your
face.

B:Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

D:If all goes well, and who knows, then I would really hope to have written
and released a couple of albums by then and touring around the world.